Web Page Optimization For Better Ranking
SearchEnabler team has compiled some of the basic web page optimization tips to help you improve your website visibility in search engines. This article elaborates the on-page factors, which we mentioned briefly under Optimize the Content in our previous article Basic SEO Steps for Optimization Strategy.
Optimize the Web Page Content via On-Page Factors
Generating the content is only half the job done. Search engines motivate webmasters to keep their content clean and easily indexable. Let us take a look as to how we can optimize web pages for search engines via on-page factors.
Some of the most important on-page factors are:
Title – The title of the webpage is perhaps one of the most important factors that search engine use to match the user query with the results. The title defines the exact context of a particular webpage. It should be relative and precise (the optimal SEO friendly title length is 70 characters). Read in detail, all the Title Optimization Tips.
- Body – The body of the webpage contains headings, text, images, and videos. For headings in the webpage, you can use H1-H6 tags depending upon the importance; H1 being the most important and H6 being the least important. Remember to use at least one H1 heading tag in a webpage.
The words, which are important, should be marked bold or italic as per the requirements.
You should use the targeted keywords in the headings and paragraphs, but overdoing it might bring your website under penalty for over optimization by Google. Google has started observing and penalizing the websites for over optimization after their recent algorithm update.
- Meta Description- Meta description tag is the content that shows up in the SERP under each result. It gives a brief overview about the content of the webpage to the users as well as search engines. The optimal length of the meta description should be about 150–160 characters. In addition, you can place important keyword in it to be more effective.
- URL – The URL of the webpage is the complete address, which you type in a web browser to navigate to a particular website or webpage. You can target keywords in the URL by using page specific keywords in it. When you are linking a particular webpage to other webpages in your website, remember to use the full URL.
The anchor text (the visible text on which you click) should be relative to the content of the webpage with which it is being linked. For more information URL Optimization Tips.
- Images – The use of images in the webpage is a very common practice, but the problem with search engines is that they cannot understand the images by themselves. They need some more readable piece of text so that they can understand the reason and context of a particular image. Thus, it brings you an opportunity to optimize images for search engines. The most important SEO factor for images lie in ALT and TITLE attributes of image tag. Read our dedicated article on Image Optimization Tips to know how to exploit all the SEO opportunities in images.
- Avoid Duplicate Content – If multiple webpages in your website has similar content (title, body or meta description), those webpages may be considered as duplicate version of each other. The search engines cannot decide which one of those duplicate webpages to show in search results because all of them have similar content in them. Therefore, you should avoid such scenarios by using distinct content in every webpage. You can read about Duplicate Content and how it affects Search Results.
In addition, if you are using different versions for display mobile or desktop oriented webpages, search engines might mark them as duplicate content too. You can use Canonical Tag to fix the problem of Duplicate Content.
Follow these web page optimization tips consistently to better the indexable content and to improve search ranks. If you have not been following the mentioned practices, it will be difficult to track older content for such page level optimization opportunities. Online SEO Software such as SearchEnabler can help you detect and report errors as well as SEO opportunities by scanning your website regularly.
edit: interactive guide to use SearchEnabler webpage optimization with keyword tracking.